Don't Scab On The Post
The following is the text of a leaflet being distributed by Notts IWW members at local Job Centres.
Don’t apply for Royal Mail jobs
Support the Posties instead!
Royal Mail workers are striking against pay and job cuts, and bigger and bigger workloads. This struggle will have an effect on pay and conditions for all us in the future.
Royal Mail management have been fiddling the figures to justify cuts and their aim is to hire 30,000 temps to cover the strike – twice as many as for the normal Christmas rush.
If others take these jobs it makes it easier for ALL bosses to attack ALL of us. Low-paid, casual contracts will continue to replace proper jobs, and wages will get lower and lower.
Asking you not to take these jobs is a big thing to ask, we know. In the current climate there are few jobs with long-term security. Some of us will need to take anything we can. Some of us are even being forced to apply by Job Centres. But we have to stick together and fight together: we are all ripped-off, exploited people. So, what can you do?
If you are unemployed
* Go and talk to the Posties on the picket line. Show them you support their fight for decent jobs.
* Talk to other unemployed people about the issue.
* If you get post on a strike day, go to the door and talk to the worker doing your regular postie’s job. Explain why you think they shouldn’t do it.
* Help us leaflet the Job Centre and employment agencies!
If you are being forced to take a job
* Refuse to cover the work of striking posties. It is legally suspect for companies to hire temps to break a strike, so they can’t force you do it!
If you are Job Centre or agency staff, this affects you too
* You have bosses breathing down your neck and probably bad pay & little job security too. But don’t place people in jobs that are aimed at breaking this strike!
Show solidarity with posties and claimants.
The Posties are striking for all of us
Show them you support them!